July 10, 2012 by Charlie Walker
Posted in: In this week's e-newsletter - Sales & Marketing, Latest News & Views - Sales & Marketing, Technology
If you would reach into the potty to grab this device, you’re not alone.
The device in question: Your mobile phone.
A recent survey showed that six out of 10 smartphone owners said they’d take the plunge, if the only alternative was losing the device.
How far would phone owners go to rescue their prized possession? Would you resort to what are considered questionable tactics?
OK. This time you’ve looked everywhere and there’s only one possibility remaining: Would you dig through your own trash hunting for a lost cell phone? More than six in 10 (63%) said they’d get down and dirty if it meant recovering their phone.
What about risking your life?
- 25% of the people said they’d tussle with a thief
- 17% would step onto train tracks
- 17% said they’d go in a tunnel, and
- 12% would tangle with traffic if it meant recovering their phone.
What kind of bargain would people be willing to strike — if the alternative was being without their phone?
- More than 1 in 10 said they’d rather leave home without wearing pants, and
- More than half the women surveyed said they’d rather leave home without putting on make-up than go without their phone.
OK, there’s an ulterior motive behind this survey, too.
Kelton Research polled people on behalf of T-Mobile, which just happens to be promoting a new program for insuring phones.
Finally, how many people actually did admit to dropping their cell in the potty?
One in five said they’d had the experience.